Visual Capitalist Jeff Desjardins has a new take on how to visualize the sheer size of the U.S. government’s $19.5 trillion total public debt outstanding. In the chart below, you’ll discover that:
- The U.S. national debt is bigger than the value of the S&P 500.
- The U.S. national debt is greater than the combined value of all the financial assets held by the world’s Top 7 money management firms.
- The U.S. national debt is 25 times bigger than the value of all the crude oil exported by the world’s oil producing nations.
- The U.S. national debt is 155 times more than the value of all the gold that was mined in 2015.
- If you took all the world’s physical cash, gold, silver, and cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, their combined value would add up to only 65% of the value of the U.S. national debt!
- The U.S. national debt represents one-third of the total amount of sovereign debt accumulated by all nations around the world.
The chart was produced by Visual Capitalist in collaboration with Texas Precious Metals as part of The Money Project, which explores the concept of money through rich visuals.